The National Institute of Agronomic Research of Algeria (INRAA) is placed under the supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Its legal status is that of a Public Establishment for Science and Technology (EPST). Its main missions can be summarized as follows:
- Contribute to the development and execution of the research programs;
- Promote scientific and technical information by disseminating research results at national and international level;
- Ensure the enhancement and economic protection of intellectual property rights of research results obtained by researchers at the institute;
- Develop partnerships between the institute and national economic operators in the agricultural and agrifood sectors;
- Develop innovative business projects based on research results.
INRAA is organized administratively into 12 research and experimentation stations and scientifically into 12 research divisions.
INRAA develops bilateral (government agreements) and multilateral (EU, FAO, IFAD, etc.) partnerships and with international research centers (IAEA, ICARDA, etc.) for the exchange of experiences and technology transfer through multiple research projects of common interest.
Regarding the problem of irrigation, INRAA has a research division in Bioclimatology and Agricultural Hydraulics. In this context, the research teams in place have developed, over the past five years some cooperation projects with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the European Union aiming to improve water and fertilizers use efficiency. For that, isotopic techniques, modeling and various water management tools and devices have been implemented. For more information, see www.inraa.dz.